August 31, 2006

bareback

No updates for a few days - so I'm going to do the last 3 days all in one hit (they're not overly interesting anyway).

Monday I did circlework again and I feel like Silvi's bend is getting better - she now seems a lot more even on both reins and when going in a straight line I can bend her around either leg a little. Some really nice canter work too - I did some up in jumping position on a loose rein just to get her a little more consistent (she has a tendancy to get faster and slower during a circle), but she was really good and didn't speed up at all just happily loped around the arena.

Tuesday I gave her a day off, but took her rug off for a few hours so she could roll (which she did, and ended up brown muddy horse) while Swifty and I took the truck to go pick up the new seats I've bought for it. There was a mix-up with the delivery so we drove to Lower Hutt, then Porrirua then back to Ohariu Valley... so it was a good run for the truck and batteries will be happily charged again now. With the new seats I'm hoping to replace the driver's seat with something that I can reach the pedals from - the new ones won't bolt straight in, but we're going to try and make an adapter plate and see what we can come up with MacGyver styles.

Yesterday I rode bareback in the yard with just a halter and lead and she was really good - we just walked, but she didn't mind at all when my weight was shifting around on her back. She's been on Vetpro Muscle Max for 4 days now, can't tell a difference yet (still a skinny horse) but hopefully I'll get out with the camera this weekend to take some pictures and see if she's looking any better.